Skip to main content

Burning Info

Do I Need a Burn Permit?

  • Any non-residential burning always requires an Air Pollution Permit from the Air District. If you have any doubts about your need for a permit, call the Grass Valley Office.
  • If the local fire department tells you that you don’t need a burn permit, always double check with the Air District at 530-274-9360.
  • For residential burning, cases vary so please see the Open Burning page or call the Air District for more information (530-274-9360).

Where can I get a Residential burn permit?

Online Burn Permits are now available. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection has transitioned to online residential burn permits for residents living within Nevada county. The online application will provide a convenient method for obtaining a burn permit.

Applicants can access the website at, watch the mandatory video which reviews burning requirements and safety tips, then fill in the required fields, submit the form and a door-yard burn permit will be created. The applicant must then print the permit and then sign it. Permits are valid for the calendar year in which they are issued and must be reissued annually on or after January 1st of each year.

If you live in eastern Nevada County call the Truckee Fire Department at (530) 582-7850 for info on obtaining a burn permit. If you live in Sierra or Plumas county either contact the Northern Air District Office or visit the Cal Fire website at

A firefighter stands by a large grass fire, hose in hand, ready to extinguish the blaze.
Join our mailing list