Home arrow Permits
Permits PDF Print Email

Any device or contrivance that may be a source of air contaminants, or is intended to control or mitigate those air contaminants, has the potential to require a Permit to Operate from the Air District. (Rule 401, Rule 501, Health & Safety Code, Section 42300 et seq)

Here is a partial list of some of the most commonly permitted facilities. If your facility is not on this list, please call the Air District to verify whether or not your facility will need an Air Pollution Permit to Operate.

OPEN BURNING: For questions regarding Air Pollution permits, see the Prescribed Fire section on our Open Burning page.

GAS STATIONS: If you plan to build a gasoline station, or if you plan to alter the vapor recovery equipment in any way, or alter or upgrade the dispensing or storage equipment in any way, then you probably need to first acquire an Authority to Construct. Visit our Vapor Recovery page for additional info.

INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES: If you plan to install or operate any kind of stationary or portable internal combustion engine (which includes gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas, or any other type of fuel) within the 3 counties of this Air District, then you will probably need to obtain an Air Pollution permit. You will need the following two forms: Permit Application form and the supplemental Internal Combustion Engine form. Additionally, it is imperative that you download the Instructions for the Permit Application.

SOIL AERATION / REMEDIATION / VAPOR EXTRACTION PROJECTS: If you plan to engage in any kind of soil cleanup where there is any potential for contaminants to be emitted into the air, however minute they may be, then you will probably need an Air Pollution permit. Please download our Soil Aeration form.