Home arrow Burn Day Info
Burn Day Info PDF Print Email

                                           Burn Day Status (Yes or No)

              Open Burning is only allowed when the Status for your area is Yes 

  Recommended Burn Hours are 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM (unless otherwise noted below) 

  THURSDAY   Friday Special Considerations
Western Nevada County     No      Yes   Residential burn permits are not required. 

Truckee Area  (Daylight hours only & Fire Dept. permit required in Truckee)

    No      Yes  Burn permit issued by a fire agency is required.
Sierra County     No      Yes  Residential burn permits are not required.  
Quincy Area     No      Yes 


Burning is prohibited November 20 - March 15.


Plumas County   (except Quincy Area)     No      Yes    
Residential burn permits are not required.
In Western Nevada County, burn piles cannot be mainly leaves and pine needles.  
For additional rules and burning tips, see the Open Burning page.

                                              NEVER BURN GARBAGE


Which area am I in? 

"Western Nevada County" is the portion of Nevada County west of Donner Summit. The "Truckee Area" is the portion of Nevada County east of Donner Summit.

"Sierra County" is the entire County of Sierra. 

"Quincy Area" is the area defined by the Quincy Fire Protection District outer boundary ("islands" within the outer boundary that are not part of the Quincy Fire Protection District are considered parts of the Quincy Area for burn day status). Burning is prohibited in downtown Quincy and East Quincy. For more information on the Quincy Area, click here .

"Plumas County (except Quincy Area)" is all of Plumas County except the area within the boundary of the Quincy Fire Protection District.

How are Burn Days determined?

The primary responsibility for a Burn Day decision resides with 2 agencies: the California Air Resources Board and CalFire. The local Air District has the final say on the burn day status, but considers input from all relevant sources and agencies and will defer to the agency that calls for a No Burn Day. The primary factors considered in a decision are fire danger, air quality and atmospheric dispersion characteristics.

Important Information to Know:

  • Any non-residential burning always requires an Air Pollution Permit from the Air District. If you have any doubts about your need for a permit, call the Grass Valley Office and ask for Joe or Sam.
  • If the local fire department tells you that you don’t need a burn permit, always double check with Joe or Sam at the Grass Valley office (530-274-9360).

Open burning has been BANNED in Grass Valley, Nevada City and downtown Quincy!!  

The Burn Day Status is also available by telephone:

Western Nevada County: (530) 274-7928

Eastern Nevada County: (530) 582-1027

Western Sierra County: (530) 289-3662

Eastern Sierra County: (530) 994-3561

Portola: (530) 832-4528

Quincy: (530) 283-3602

Greenville: (530) 284-6520

Chester: (530) 258-2588

Where can I get a burn permit?

If you live in western Nevada County and don’t know where to get a burn permit, check our Burn Permit info sheet for the fire station closest to you. If you live in eastern Nevada County call the Truckee Fire Department at (530) 582-7850 for info on obtaining a burn permit. If you live in Sierra or Plumas county either contact the Northern Air District Office or the local fire agency.  Most US Forest Service offices in Plumas County issue burn permits.

Are you curious as to how many days are No Burn Days? Do you think every Saturday is always a No Burn Day? Well, see for yourself by checking out our Annual Burn Day Statistics (.pdf) page.

Burn Day and Weather stats by month, 2005

Why Do We Have No Burn Days?